The number of cases of depression has grown over the years. At least 16.2 million adults in the United States had one major depressive episode. It is 6.7% of all U.S.A adults. The depression still is a stigma in society, so people try to keep their diagnosis in privacy.
However, living with a diagnosis of depression does not end. People still need necessary things: get a new job, hold insurance. Those who take meds for treatment has an additional reason to worry – does his antidepressant show up on a drug test.
Do the labs looking for antidepressant itself?
Antidepressants treat depression as well as anxiety and eating disorders. They help in the case of from chronic pain, and some other conditions. As antidepressants are not considered as drugs of abuse, your employer and labs have no reason to test you for them. But, your meds might cause false positive for illegal substances and get you into trouble because of similarity of the chemical structure. So tests do not see the difference between the "good" drug and the "bad" one. Check yourself at home if you take any meds against depression.
What drugs have a cross-reaction to meds for depression treatment?
Next remedies are famous, potent and effective against depression, however, cause false positive drug test for amphetamines and methamphetamine:
- Desipramine (Norpramin),
- Desyrel (Trazodone),
- Imipramine (Tofranil),
- Nortriptyline (Pamelor),
- Protriptyline (Vivactil),
- Prozac (Fluoxetine),
- Serzone (Nefazodone)
- Trimipramine (Surmontil)
- Wellbutrin (Bupropion),
If you are on Zoloft (sertraline) your test might show up as benzodiazepine intake.
Does the abstinence work for antidepressants?
As you know, no substance — no drug test problem. For another drug, this approach works, if the doctor did not give other recommendations. However, with antidepressants, it is not that simple. Suddenly interruption of using in 20% patients causes antidepressant discontinuation syndrome. So, it is strictly recommended if you decide to stop taking these meds, do this only under doctor’s supervision. Make self-testing to be sure.
Steps to prevent the question from your employer when you take antidepressants
- Do not mix. Keep away from alcohol, street drugs or any unnecessary drugs when you are on antidepressants and going to pass a drug test.
- Stop using only under doctor supervision to prevent unwanted symptoms. Follow all recommendations when you are taking prescription meds including the dose, frequency of use, and so on.
- Make self-testing. We have tools for urine, saliva, hair. If your home test negatives, most likely, you pass the test.
- Take measures. Bring your prescription bottle to the testing and provide the appropriate documentation to the lab tech to make a note in their records.
- Carefully watch what you eat or drink in the days, weeks, and months before your drug test.
- To not use home remedies to pass a drug test. It may hurt you.
False positives happen frequently enough. As a false negative. But do not give your destiny to chance. Be careful. Peace.
Share, if you are taking any antidepressant and forced to pass the test.